Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Emotions Trump Learning

This phrase speaks loud to me because I believe it! Children need to feel the love before the logic. When I was in first grade my teacher tried to explain the greater than less than concept using the alligator mouth. I did not get that method of teaching this particular subject. My teacher was very impatient and rude to me about my lack of understanding. Because of her attitude towards me, I hated school. I did not want to go to school. I cried begging to stay home. My tears did not work, but the fear and incompetence I felt continued. I didn't learn much that year because I was afraid of my teacher. After the math incident I wouldn't ask her any questions when I didn't understand because I didn't want to get yelled at. This experience reminds me how important it is to connect with my students. Intead of belittling or yelling it is so important to be kind, patient and understanding. I believe as I gain my students trust by showing I care they will feel safe and the learning will have no boundaries.

1 comment:

  1. You really connected this to a painful experience from your past, one you'll never forget.

    ReplyDelete